Thursday, October 1, 2009

Wal-Mart

I'm staying in a cheap motel just outside Columbus, OH. The front desk clerk was happy to let me know that my room has a view of the Cracker Barrel restaurant. She was right, but she failed to mention how lovely it is. Still, this joint has two things my old hotel doesn't have. A pool (sauna *wink* steam), and free wifi throughout the facility.

I needed to get some toothpaste so I left the hotel and the nearest thing was a Wal-Mart. I'm not on an exotic vacation near the equator, I'm venturing into the Midwest. So I don't know why I was surprised. Wal-Mart reminds me of Binghamton, NY. Everyone in the Wal-Mart was either dangerously obese, bound to a motorized scooter chair, had some bad limp, or was missing teeth. I really did a 360 degree turn while I waited at the register and glanced at every visible person. They each had one of these characteristics. It was funny for a moment, but then seemed rather sad.

Tomorrow I'm gonna check out the Bruce Lee Martial Arts Museum and the Motorcycle Museum, then I'll take a quick stroll around the central Columbus area before I head off to Indiana.

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever have the feeling that you might see someone from Bing there? Every time I venture into a Wal-mart I just naturally look around wondering if I am going to catch a glimpse of an old roommate or that weird kid from English Class.

    ReplyDelete