Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Penn

I hit the road in the afternoon. Drove the queens/midtown tunnel into Manhattan and then took the Lincoln tunnel into jersey. I was out of New York State and my trip had officially begun. My first stop was Bethlehem, PA, to see an old friend. The trip was short, but it felt long once the setting sun began to shine in my eyes. It was a powerful reminder that since I’m driving west, I should make sure I get my trips completed before the Sun starts to go down.

As always, it was nice to spend time with my good friend Scott who’s lived in Bethlehem since attending college there. His neighborhood is a real college area. I had forgotten what that atmosphere is like, and I enjoyed being in it again.

I left Scott’s at about 10am to begin the trip to my next destination. I knew that it was 7 hours away, but I didn’t really understand that until I began to drive it. Pennsylvania is a long state and it’s extremely rural between its two southern corners. I saw plenty of cows and silos and rotting old barns. I saw wheat fields and rolling hills. The rural scenery is beautiful and it reminded me that not everyone prefers the fast-paced urban lifestyle. I got pretty bored of the rural scene, but my trip was a bit more exciting while I got to drive through mountain tunnels. I went through four of them and was happy to have something new to look at each time. They’re really neat. Each mountain had two tunnels shot through it. It looked as if someone had taken a chunk of the Lincoln tunnel and jammed it into each mountain.

Since I had a long trip ahead of me and wanted to reach my stop, I didn’t stop anywhere to look around or take pictures. Actually, I didn’t see anything worth photographing, but since I kept to the interstate, I didn’t get to see Harrisburg or Pittsburgh

Most people know that I was heading out to California with no job secured for me. Luckily I did receive a phone-call during my trip from the regional hiring manager in San Diego. She called to announce that the position is mine if I were willing to accept it, and I was. So, there you have it, I’m still about 2000 miles from there, but I managed (with help) to nab a job. I also received a call from another property and they want to set up an interview.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Dan on the job! Hope you're having fun and picking up a trinket at each location you're at.

    ReplyDelete